Sunday, October 24, 2010

Field Trip Friday

On Friday I took my 2nd level apparel students to a Costume designer in Mooresville, NC. Shawnelle is a costume designer that has recently moved from LA to NC. She has a passion to teach people young and old how to sew, sketch, design, and create.
The days started with Shawnelle explaining to the class what she did when she was a fashion designer. She showed them pictures and examples of her work from when she was designing. Once she left the fashion designing industry she went back to school for costume design. She has been the lead designer for movies and television shows. She talked to the girls about the pressure of working with tight budgets and time constraints. Shawnelle also showed the girls her portfolio she has from all of her movies. The point she made, which thrilled me, was how important sewing skills are when you are in the fashion industry.
After we came back from lunch she allowed to girls to do some of their own sketching. Over half the class said they couldn't draw. Look at what they were able to do. As a teacher I was so proud.
Shawnelle teaching the girls how to draw with croquettes.
Sketches from one of my girls...
and some more.
I thought this picture turned out cool.
My girls laughed at me for taking pictures of thread...but look.
Movie board from Benjamin Button. She didn't
design for this movie, but a very dear friend
of hers did.

No comments:

Post a Comment