Sunday, December 11, 2011

What's cookin in the kitchen?

Last week I made portabella mushroom sandwiches. I had no recipe in mind, which is why I was so surprised at how delicious these sandwiches turned out. The best part was they were easy and quick.
I used a grilling skillet to cook the mushroom caps with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I toasted bagel thins while the mushrooms cooked. To the sandwiches I added fresh spinach, pesto, roasted red peppers, and goat cheese. Holy Yum!
While at the grocery store I found sweet potato puffs. I know how much Scott loves sweet potatoes so I thought we would give them a try. I drizzled a little bit of honey and sprinkled cinnamon sugar over them. They were really good, but all they are is sweet potato tater tots.

If you still have not made the pumpkin roll we highly recommend it. We enjoyed a slice and a hot cup of apple cider with mulled spices the other evening.

I tried my hand at making my own peppermint bark. I found a recipe in Health magazine which seemed simple enough, so I thought I would give it a try. Whitney gave me a few tips to use while making the bark which came in handy. The bark is so easy to make and I even had Scott's help.

First melt 1 bag of semi sweet chocolates. Along with the chocolates add a little bit of canola oil and vanilla extract. Then spread the chocolate on wax paper placed on a cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

While the chocolate is firming in the freezer melt 1 bag of white chocolate morsels with canola oil. Add in some crushed up candy canes to the white chocolate.


Pull out the chocolate and pour the white chocolate mixture on top. Sprinkle the remaining crushed candy canes over the white chocolate and place in freezer until completely hard. Once the chocolate is hard you can break up to pieces to get your peppermint bark.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment